brown rat,black rat,rat lower classifications,rat species,bulldog rat,rat vs mouse,rat scientific name,rat hack
- Type:- Mammal (Rodent)
- Diet:- Omnivore
- Lifespan:- 2-3 years
- Size:- Average body is 25cm long with tail being a further 20cm
- Weight:- 350-450 g for females and 450-650 for males
- Habitat:- Extremely adaptable and can thrive in most habitats providing there is
- Range:- Originated in Asia, but has spread throughout the world.
- Scientific Name: –Rattus genus
- Rats have excellent memories. Once they learn a navigation route, they won’t forget it.
- When happy, rats have been observed to chatter or grind their teeth. This is often accompanied by vibrating eyes.
- Rats make happy “laughter” sounds when they play.
- Rats succumb to peer-pressure, just like humans. Brown rats are prone to disregard personal experiences in order to copy the behaviour of their peers. The urge to conform is so strong that they will even choose to eat unpalatable food if they are in the company of other rats who are eating it.
- Although very curious animals, rats are also shy, and prefer to run away than confront a potential threat.Rats are extremely clean animals, spending several hours every day grooming themselves and their group members. They are less likely than cats or dogs to catch and transmit parasites and viruses.
- Rats take care of injured and sick rats in their group.
- Without companionship rats tend to become lonely and depressed.
- The rat is the first of the twelve animals of the Chinese zodiac. People born in this year are thought to possess characteristics which are associated with rats, namely: creativity, intelligence, honesty, ambition and generosity.
- Rats are recognized as the vehicle of Lord Ganesh in Indian tradition. They are worshiped at the Karni Devi Temple, where priests and pilgrims will feed them grain and milk.
- A rat can go longer than a camel without having a drink of water.
- Rats’ tails help them to balance, communicate and regulate their body temperature.
Scientists have dosed naked mole rats with carcinogens and radiations, yet they have never been observed to develop cancer. They tolerate acid, live 6 times longer than other rodents, they hardly age, and they survive long periods of oxygen deprivation and can live in heavy metal polluted areas.
Giant rats have been trained to sniff out 14,000 landmines and other unexplored arsenals. The rats, which undergo nine months training, are light enough to not trigger the explosives. They literally work for peanuts.
A man died while cleaning machinery with gasoline, which dripped onto a rat that was running across the floor. The rat’s gasoline-coated fur ignited when it ran beneath a heater with a pilot light, causing an explosion that killed the worker – a story of negligence now taught in law schools.
Rats that were trained to press a lever for food stopped pressing the lever once they saw that it also caused another rat to receive an electric shock.
Only about 12 rats per year enter Alberta, Canada and are quickly killed by provincial rat control specialists before they can breed. Alberta is the largest rat-free populated area in the world.
Mongooses were introduced to Hawaii to control the invasive rat population. However, rats are nocturnal and mongooses are diurnal. Hawaii now has a problem with both.
The naked mole rat is unable to feel pain, is the only known thermoforming mammal, is resistant to cancer, and possesses extraordinary longevity for a rodent.
There is a parasite which breeds inside the guts of a cat. Their offspring are deposited in droppings and can then be eaten by rats. The offspring then affect the rat’s behavior to make them less scared, and even sexually aroused, by cats, with the aim of returning to the cat guts.
African giant pouched rats are trained to detect tuberculosis, which is the world’s second most fatal infectious disease. Although they currently are not an accepted standalone diagnostic tool, one rat can evaluate more samples in 10 minutes than a lab technician can evaluate in 1 day.
Medieval Pope Gregory IX considered cats to be the ‘incarnation of Satan’. Leading to a mass killing of cats, causing the rat population to swell, quickening the spread of the Black Death.
“We are waiting for your valuable time, please share and comment on our information”